Monday, March 19, 2012

40 is Different

I know that all men and all women are not a like. Although, I think that there is still a double standard for women when it comes to being 40 years old. I also think that other women and those glossy magazines put pressure on us women when it comes to being 40 years old too. In the 50s,60s, 70s, and on into the 80s women were pressured to be married by 30 or they would be old maids or spinsters. At that point in time if you were not married and had a family everyone thought there had to be something wrong with you. I look at those time periods sadly because I wonder how many women married someone that they did not love for the sake of not being an old maid.

These days, it is different, more women are waiting to get married or not getting married at all even. The waiting part is good I think, because more and more people are living together first, because honestly you don’t know someone until you live with them and see them for who they really are. You know what I mean, leaving the cap off the toothpaste, leaving the toilet seat up, and all the other stuff. So, learning who someone really is before marrying them is a good idea. However, I am a Christian and in my religion we are supposed to get married before living together.

So, that presents me with an issue. I feel that I have not always been a good Christian and I know that God has forgiven me for that. I also will not just run off and get married so that my living with someone will be ‘legal’ in the eyes of God. 40 for me will most likely not really be an issue. I had no trouble with 30. However, for some reason, 29 depressed the hell out of me.

Age is just a number and I know I do not look my age. Most people who see me would not guess that I am 37. To be honest, I like that a lot! I am not really vain about my appearance though. Not like some women and I am sure that is okay for them. Just not me. I am good with being 37 and unmarried. I was married once and it so did not work out well, so it is just as well that I have not done it again, yet. Do I want to get married again? I go back and forth on that, so it would depend on the day you are talking to me. I am learning to love myself the way that I am. Flaws and all. It has taken me a while and I am happy where I am for now.

Before I get hate mail from the guys, yes, I do know there is a double standard for you too. You are supposed to be the bread winners, the strong, and the fixer. I know a lot of you are not any of those things. It’s okay.

Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment